Ol' Trusty Comes Through. It is what it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire of March 25th 1911 was the deadliest industrial disaster in New York City. It was the deadliest disaster in NYC until the destruction of the World Trade Centre. 146 people died in the fire mainly Jewish or Italian immigrants, predominately female. The median age of the victims was 16 to 23. The youngest victims were both 14. The fire began on the ninth floor of the Asch Building on Washington Street. Because the factory managers had locked the exits, as was common practice, many girls jumped from over eight stories to escape the flames. The intense public backlash and the rise in labour militancy following the fire led to the creation of federal factory safety legislations, which facilitated further industrial reform. Max Hochfield, who worked at the factory and narrowly escaped with his life at the expense of his sister’s became obsessed with revenge.  "I began to plan how to get a gun," he says. "I would go to collect the wages they owed me - and my sister. The bosses would be there. I would come in and ask for the money. I would kill them." As a member of Local 25 of the International Ladies Garment Workers’ Union he went to the union for assistance; “He listened to me and said, 'No, not that way. I know how you’re are suffering. But you're a young fellow. You'll ruin your life. Take my advice. Killing won't do you any good and it won't do us any good. Shooting? No; making the union stronger? yes; that's the way.' “ The ILGWU went on to be a leading voice in many sweatshop and labour reform movements of the early twentieth century. But even now Hochfield laments:  "Still and all, if I had had the money and if I had known where to buy a gun, I would have gone through with the plan." The factory owners Max Blanck and Isaac Harris escaped the fire safely. Following the quashing of their manslaughter charges they were court ordered to pay $75 per victim in compensation. Their fire insurance payout resulted in Blanck and Harris receiving $400 per victim. In 1913 Blanck was fined $20 for once again locking the exits at his new factory.

  1. escapefr0mhere reblogged this from oceansorbitingblackholes
  2. piphany-rambler reblogged this from bluestockingsbooks
  3. aerialcircus reblogged this from bluestockingsbooks
  4. nightmarebebe reblogged this from bluestockingsbooks
  5. bluestockingsbooks reblogged this from oceansorbitingblackholes
  6. thelibraryofinfinity reblogged this from oceansorbitingblackholes
  7. oceansorbitingblackholes posted this